Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Native Son by Richard Wright

Hello~
Today, I’ll be attempting to write a book review, since after all, this is a blog about both books and art.
I recently finished reading the book Native Son, which was written in 1940 by Richard Wright. When I was in the eighth grade, my English teacher recommended to me, however, it was a fairly intense, terrifying book. Nonetheless, it intrigued me, and so I decided to read it once again.
There are multiple covers, but I prefer this one~
A brief summary- The story is simple enough: that of an underprivileged black boy named Bigger Thomas living in the 1930’s. He only attended school until the 8th grade, after which he dropped out. He, his mother, and younger brother and sister are living in a small, one bedroom apartment, infested with rats. At 20 he still has no proper job, and so he goes around making plans of robbing various people. However, he does soon obtain a job as a chauffeur for a rich white family, whose daughter, Mary, is dating a communist- a problem at the time. After a few wrong turns, Mary is dead at the hands of Bigger, and fearing for his life, he attempts to cover up the crime. When that doesn’t work, he is taken by the law.
Despite being written in 1940, I found the style of the writing to be very enthralling to read. The book is fast paced, and one that I think is really emotional. The lack of equality at the time really takes its toll on the readers and the characters, om a very strong way. I have read books that dealt with racism in the past, however none as brutally so as this one. It’s very heart wrenching to read, and though Bigger was the one to commit the crime, his entire life was an ordeal so unjust that it one can’t help but feel sympathy for him.
This is definitely one of the most emotionally destructive books that I have read, but meanwhile, I think it’s something quite spectacular. It’s very emotional, and though brutal and graphic in some scenes (I wouldn’t recommend this to those faint of heart or those who dislike gory scenes), I think it’s definitely worth a read. I still am not sure if I understand the entirety of the book on a deeper level, but it is an amazing book, even if you understand it only on a surface level.

And to finish off, a quote: “Violence is a personal necessity for the oppressed...It is not a strategy consciously devised. It is the deep, instinctive expression of a human being denied individuality.”  I think this is one quite relative to Bigger’s situation- he’s denied so many things, he has no real way to retort to them. Violence is the only way that he can cope- the only method which he has been given to be able to cope.

A very emotional, beautiful book. I highly, highly recommend it.

Sakura~

No comments:

Post a Comment